Our Customers Asked for Tips
about Cooking with Honey
John Wright and some of our worker bees are having a Honey Tasting Party for those local and visiting customers who Shop for a Cause at the Northside Methodist Pre-School Gift Show today. One of our visitors asked for Honey Cooking tips, and our QueenBee was available to text them to us. We generally share these tips in our newsletters. But, thought that since you asked, we’d share them here today.
Tips about Cooking with Honey
- Did you know most flavors of honey are about twice as sweet as sugar, so you can reduce the amount of honey used in a recipe by one-third to one-half of the amount of sugar called for in a recipe? So, if a recipe calls for a cup of sugar, try using one-half to two-thirds of a cup of honey in your recipe.
- It might surprise you to learn that honey has a lot of water in it, approximately 18%. So, you may want to adjust the amount of liquid you use when you bake to accommodate your use of honey as a sweetener. Most cooks recommend reducing liquids by around 20%. What this looks like is for every cup of honey you use, you reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup. By the way, baking with honey will make your baked goods moist, an extra bonus for baking with honey.
- Sauces pretty much won’t require any reduction in the amount of liquid, when you use honey as a sweetener. You can always gently simmer out any extra liquid the honey adds, if necessary.
- When baking with honey, reduce the temperature of your oven by 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Have you ever had honey stick in your measuring cup or spoon? You can pre-spray your cup or spoon with cooking spray. The honey will just slide out, once you’ve measured it.
- Since honey doesn’t spoil (bet ya’ didn’t know that!), it can help keep your baked goods fresh longer!
- If you find that you over-brown your baked goods when you bake with honey, add a pinch of baking soda to the honey. Don’t do this if you add sour cream, sour milk, or buttermilk to the recipe because the baking soda will cut down on the acidity.
Join Our Honey Tasting Party
You can join our Honey Tasting Party and Shop for A Cause this afternoon and tomorrow all day at the Northside Methodist Pre-School Gift Show.
A portion of our sales is donated to organizations that protect our #bees, and Northside Methodist is raising funds for its pre-school. Holiday shopping, a Honey Tasting Party, automatic donations to good causes – how does it get any better than this?